Monday, March 2, 2009

I lost my heart in Heidelberg...


Since the last time I wrote, lots has gone down in Germany. Castles have been seen, stairs have been climbed, wine has been drank, drunk, whatever lol If you have not seen my facebook albums, or read the Journal e-mail updates, let me fill you in. We took a trip to Heidelberg and it was more quaint and more lovely than I could have ever imagined. Old cobblestone streets, old destroyed castles and stairs, many stairs. It was like I jumped into a postcard -it was that picturesque.

So March 1 is considered the beginning of spring in these parts, and it sure felt like spring,14 degrees! One of our friends here is Russian. She told us of a tradition that is held on March 1st. Its a day to symbolize the beginning of spring and the end of winter, what a wonderful reason to celebrate! It is called Maslenitsa, "Maslo" meaning "butter". It is a holiday in Russia, and the whole day they eat..Pancakes! They can be topped with sour cream, jam, ground beef or butter. So we decided to celebrate this day as well!! Also, they make a doll, and burn it. I know, I know a little violent, but the doll symbolizes winter, and I know you'd burn it too lol So Ronnie and I set out on our journey to find, only the best ingredients for our pancake extravaganza. So we got our friends and together we made the best pancakes this side of Germany! We ate them with Strawberry jam and ice cream. mmmm so, those of you who want to take part in a different tradition, why not fry up a few flapajacks and burn an old cabbage patch kid and bring on the tulips!!

No comments:

Post a Comment